Preparing for a newborn photography session can be an exciting and memorable experience. However, with a newborn, there are always variables that can make the process a little unpredictable. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your newborn photography session and make it a success.
- The very first thing and most important is to schedule the session. The best thing to do is book your newborn photographer during the second trimester to be sure they still have availability on their schedule. At Julie Irene Photography, we will only book 8 sessions a month so that we know we’ll have room for all sweet little newborn clients when they are born. The actual newborn session should be scheduled preferably within the first two weeks of your baby’s birth. This is when newborns are the sleepiest and easiest to photograph. Again, you’ll want to reach out to a photographer or photography studio in advance to secure a spot. To book your spot with Julie Irene Photography contact her here.
- Share your vision with your newborn photographer. Each newborn photography session is unique to each client. As your photographer, I discuss the style of your home, the nursery, colors and accent colors in your home and the overall design aesthetic in your home. We’ll discuss your favorite shots you’re looking for, any specific props or outfits you want to use, and any other details that are important to you.
- Keep the baby comfortable prior to the session. You’ll want to make sure your baby is well-fed, changed, and comfortable before the session. Keep your newborn in loose-fitting clothes that are easy to remove. Sleepers that can be zipped off are perfect. Keep in mind that newborns may need to take breaks during the session, so it’s important to be flexible and patient.
- Stay calm and patient: Newborn sessions usually take up to 3 hours, so it’s important to stay calm and patient throughout the process and schedule time into your day for the portrait session. You may want to even bring a few of your favorite snacks.
- Trust your photographer: I always suggest hiring a professional newborn photographer. You should trust in their expertise and if they are experienced at newborn photography and safety trust that your newborn is in good hands. As long as they know all about newborn safety they will know how to position the baby and create the best shots.
- Once the session is over, we’ll schedule a ordering and viewing appointment to review the photos together. We’ll go through all the portraits from the session and help narrow down to your absolute favorite images. We’ll also go through and choose which portraits would look amazing in your home and on your walls. This will help you get the most out of your session and create beautiful, lasting memories of your little one.
Preparing for a newborn photography session involves a little bit of planning and patience, but the results are worth it. We’ll be able to capture precious moments together that you’ll cherish for a lifetime.